Wednesday, December 3, 2014

DIEP Practice



Describe
During April. I joined my first MUN conference at Nottingham University. In a MUN conference, delegates would discuss about current issues and find ways to solve the issues. Ultimately, however, a MUN conference helps us learn to communicate and share ideas with one another. While at the conference, I was able to debate with other delegates and share my ideas. We are also encouraged to form blocs, where a few delegates come together to cooperate, to achieve our goals. During the conference, I was able to experience how it was like to be in a UN conference, where delegates would represent their countries and there will almost always have heated discussions.


Interpret
 


Prior to my attendance to the event, I thought this the conference would be like those I have attended in secondary school. Well to be honest, the reason I decided to take part in the event was because I could mention about it in personal statement. (Hey, don't look at me that way. I believe I'm not the only one.) However it was totally out of my expectations. I had the opportunity to meet great people there. They are all people with great visions and views. Not only given the chance to listen to the professional opinions, their ideas encouraged me to think about the global issues which I used to think not related to my life before attending the conference. I started to look into those topics which I would never spare a minute reading about it before that. I think it has changed me somehow. I was unaware of the change at first. It was when I heard people saying things like 'hey, you're so different' and 'eh, since when you are so much into current affairs?' then only I noticed the change.

Evaluate 

What makes the difference? I guess it is because of the skills acquired and lessons learned through the process. By involving myself in a series of conferences, I have become a more disciplined person. I have to admit that I'm one who used to do last minute work but as a delegate I won't be able to come up with a good script just over one night. To be well prepared and give a good speech I have to read constantly and spend a little time every day to write down my opinion on different issues, either local or international. Now, I have made it a habit to read newspaper at least half an hour every day. Besides, I have learnt to think analytically and overcome the problem with the most appropriate solution. Instead of getting panicked when several questions are thrown to me all at once, I stay calm and try my best to figure out the best solution and rebut or refute in a short amount of time. I also managed to put myself in other people's shoes and look at the problems from different perspectives. Sticks in a bundle are unbreakable. Apart from that, I have gained intrapersonal and communication skills as well. I tend to do self-reflection and have a conversation with myself after each conference. Did I perform well just now? How else could I deliver the speech? Sometimes I even think 'How different would I be if I did not join MUN?', 'What if I have taken part in the conference earlier?', 'I have learnt so much from the event, how could I convince my friends to come along with me so that they can learn too?' etc. Speaking of communication skill, I think this is one of the most important skills that all of us need. I find that it is very often for me to have a lot of ideas in my mind but do not know how to express them. Through the conferences, I have already found out the way to deliver my ideas and translate my thoughts into words. I believe that the skills I have acquired would definitely benefit me in life, not only as a student but also as a person.

Plan

What do the skills mentioned above have to do with my future? Well I can’t relate them directly. Does being disciplined doesn’t guarantee me to be a great pharmacist? No. Does having intrapersonal skill doesn’t make me a perfect accountant? No. In that case, what is the significance of those skills then? Well, it is true that completing ourselves with those skills doesn’t guarantee us to be who we want to be in the future but one thing I am pretty sure is that with those skills, we might not be able to succeed, but without those skills, for sure we won’t be able to succeed. Does that show you how important the skills are to our future? Therefore, I am really grateful to have owned those skills through the event I joined. Being disciplined, being able to think analytically and having intrapersonal skill and communication skills, I believe, have made me a better person who is continuously trying to be a more outstanding one.

No comments:

Post a Comment